FAITH FORMATION 2019-2020
updated July 2019
Classes offered: 1st THROUGH 10th GRADES +
In support of the Parish Mission, to be the light of Christ shining in the heart of the community, Corpus Christi Faith Formation program partners with parents to provide opportunities for children in our parish to grow in their relationship with Jesus and their understanding of the Catholic faith.
Faith Formation Supports the Parish Mission
Faith Formation classes are offered during the school year for 1st through 10th grade students to grow in their understanding of the faith. First grade class begins preparation for the reception of Reconciliation and Eucharist (Holy Communion) to be received in second grade. Pairing classroom work with retreats in the 2nd, 9th, and 10th grades provides necessary instruction for the reception of the sacraments. Following the guidelines established by the Diocese of Des Moines, a curriculum is taught by volunteer catechists directed by a Director of Faith Formation working in the parish office.
Catechists are volunteers in good standing with the Catholic Church, regularly attending Mass, following the precepts of the Church, and possessing an orthodox understanding of the Catholic faith that they desire to share with others. Catechists have completed a background check and VIRTUS training as prescribed by the diocesan program: Protecting All God’s Children.
Volunteer catechists are needed. If you are interested in serving as a catechist, please contact the parish office and ask to speak to our Director of Faith Formation.
Forms for Faith Formation Open Registration
Registrations are accepted from early May until September 1st. Faith Formation class registrations are submitted (using the forms provided below in English or Spanish) to the Director of Faith Formation in the Parish Office by September 1st. Review all guidelines for class registration that follow. Check with the Parish Office when you submit your registration to verify your child is registered in the correct class.
Complete all three forms for your student to be registered. Up to three students per family can be registered on each of the three forms. Forms are available in the parish office, online, and at each of the Corpus Christi locations.
1. Formation classes are offered for 1st through 10th grade+ students of registered Corpus Christi Catholic Parish families.
2.Families must complete registration each year for the coming school year.
3.Parents of all students requesting sacraments, must present a baptismal certificate to the Parish Office. Candidates for Confirmation will also need to provide a certificate of First Holy Communion.
4. All students attending public and Catholic schools requesting First Holy Communion, Reconciliation, and Confirmation must register in our Faith Formation program. Students attending Catholic schools do not receive sacraments through their schools and must register in our Faith Formation program to participate in parent meetings and retreats. Regular attendance at weekend Masses is expected.
5. Students attending public schools must register to attend classes regularly from the 1st through 10th grades. Regular attendance at weekend Masses is expected.
6. Students in 3rd-8th grades, who have not received their First Holy Communion, register for the class: Rite of Christian Initiation for Children or RCIC. All students in both public and Catholic schools will attend RCIC classes regularly to first prepare to receive First Reconciliation and then prepare to receive First Holy Communion. Only students in 2nd grade and RCIC classes are given instruction for the first reception of Reconciliation and Holy Communion. Students must fully participate in classes and retreats, and parents must attend meetings for students to be eligible to receive Reconciliation and Holy Communion.
7. The Des Moines Diocese requires the 2-year preparation for Confirmation begins no earlier than the 9th grade year. The celebration of the sacrament occurs at a significant moment toward the end of the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. “A candidate for Confirmation… must profess the faith, be in the state of grace, have the intention of receiving the sacrament, and be prepared to assume the role of disciple and witness to Christ….” (CCC1319). Students will complete all required activities and submit needed paperwork as required by their Corpus Christi Confirmation Handbook to be eligible to receive Confirmation.
8. Ninth grade students (first year of preparation) of both Catholic and public school must register in the Faith Formation program and participate in one retreat and any parent meetings. Ninth grade public school students must regularly attend Faith Formation classes.
9. Tenth grade students and older (in the second year of preparation) of both Catholic and public school must register and participate in two retreats and any required parent meetings. The students in the second year of preparation (10th grade+) attending Catholic school, must begin attending Wednesday evening classes with public school students in January to receive Confirmation that year.
Fee payments are to be made at the time of registration.
Faith Formation Calendar 2019-2020
The first class for all students in public school is Wednesday, September 11th at St. Albert School.A complete calendar will be available July 1, 2019. An updated Faith Formation Family Handbook will be available on this website on July 1, 2019.
Please contact the Director of Faith Formation, Dr. Roseanne Williby with questions, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Parish Office at 712-323-1163.
Mrs. Donna Conn and her 8th grade Faith Formation class show-off the blankets they made for someone in need of a warm blanket on a cold winter's night. These blankets will be raffled at the Parish Christmas Party on Saturday, December 15th at Queen of Apostles Great Hall.